Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 #7

The author uses several literary techniques to keep the readers interested until the end. One of the most prominent techniques is the use of mystery. From the start of the novel to its twist ending, Ray Bradbury is a master at keeping the reader in suspense. I had no idea what was going to happen when I was reading this novel, and that is one of the reasons I enjoyed reading it. The biggest surprise in the novel happened when Montag turned the flame thrower on Captain Beatty and killed him. I knew Montag was angry but I would have never guessed that he would end up killing someone. It did not even seem like Montag even knew was he was doing until it was happening. "He twitched the safety catch on the flame thrower. Beatty glanced instantly at Montag's fingers and his widened that faintest bit. Montag saw the surprise there and himself glanced to his hands to see what new thing they had done" (Bradbury 119). Another surprise I would have never guessed was the war, and the bomb. The war never really came up in the story until the very end, and that shows how oblivious society really is to real matters. Although the was was was surprising and kept me interested, I would have like to see some foreshadowing or something else leading up to it.

The other technique the author uses to keep readers interested is his sense of originality. Although I do not read many science fiction novels, this one does stand out as the most original. I never would have heard of a novel about burning books until this one, and I will probably not hear of one like this again. This book is an original in a sea of copies. Most authors today write about vampires and werewolfs and magic, instead of coming up with their own stories. The world of literature would be so much better if authors just wrote original material.

Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Del Rey Book, 1991. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment