Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Moon is Down Chapter 1

Before I started reading The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck, I had not previously heard of it. When we were told it was one of the required reads this summer, I was surprised. Normally these books are very popular classics that lots of people have heard of, but I could not even find a copy of this at Barnes and Noble! I had to go and order it. After reading the back of the novel and the Introduction chapter, I realized that the book was not popular for its literary success, but for its use of being propaganda during World War II. The book was secretly printed and distributed throughout Western Europe during the war. When The Moon is Down begins, Colonel Lanser and his troop of soldiers arrive at Mayor Orden's house. Lanser tells the Mayor and Doctor Winter that a well liked man from their town, George Corell has been helping the enemy. "Your Excellency, our friend, George Corell, prepared this town for invasion. Our Benefactor, George Corell, sent our soldiers into the hills. Our dinner guest, George Corell, has made a list of every firearm in the town." (Steinbeck 13). The Colonel ends their discussion by "asking" to set up camp in the upper rooms of the Mayor's house.

It is not surprising to me that Colonel Lanser did not under stand the concept of the people actually leading the town. Although Mayor Orden is in charge, he listens to his people and does a lot to help them. Orden is very well liked by his people, and Lanser is used to his people being scared into submission. Orden said, a little proudly, "My people don't like to have others think for them. Maybe they are different form your people. I am confused, but that I am sure of." (Steinbeck 17). I would assume that the people of this town are not going to take being invaded very easily; they will probably fight back.

Steinbeck, John. The Moon Is Down. New York: Penguin Classics, 1942. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment