Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye vs. Fahrenheit 451

To get all of my fifty blogs done this summer, I decided to obviously read the two required books, The Old Man and the Sea, and The Moon is Down. I also picked two of the optional books, The Catcher in the Rye and Fahrenheit 451 in order to get all of my blogs finished. After completing three-fourths of my blogs, I have read all the books except for the July required book, The Moon is Down. For this blog I am going to compare the two optional books I choose. As I stated way back in May, when I read The Catcher in the Rye, I liked it so much because it reminded me a lot of my favorite book, It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. Fahrenheit 451, on the other hand did not really remind me too much of another book because I do not like science fiction as much, so I do not read too many of them except for school (like 1984). I have to say I liked The Catcher in the Rye better. I still am not happy with the end of Fahrenheit 451, other then the ending of the book, I did like it too. I feel like as a teenager, I relate more to Holden and the stress he is going through, instead of the moral difficulties that Guy Montag goes through, and that is always important in the books I read.

I have been recommending The Catcher in the Rye to other in my class as well as some other people who have not read it in school. Just some of the thing that Holden says like, "A lot of people keep asking me if I'm going to apply myself when I go back to school in September. I mean how do you know what you're going to do until you do it? The answer is you don't. I think I am, but how do I know?" (Salinger 213), remind me so much about how teenagers act now of days too. I see this lack luster attitude towards school all the time with people.

 Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 1951. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment